Complete external and internal basement refurbishment (approx 2,500 ft2) plus the refurbishment and tanking of 14 basement vaults.
Timeframe: The building is owned by the Government of the UAE and acts as the UK passport office and Consulate. Amongst the many changes to the project, where that the building is highly sensitive with regards to security and also that the daily business of the consul could not be disrupted.
This called for meticulous planning of the work to ensure that safe access was maintained for public and staff as well as strict adherence to time frames.
Programme: As a result of the many restrictions, detailed planning and risk assessments were carried out for all phases of the work to ensure that no delays would affect the critical path to the completion date. In addition, specific milestone dates were fixed for IT and Comms switchovers which were in turn coordinated across the departments simultaneously.
Project delivered to the required dates and within the agreed budget.
Main project elements included:
- New suspended ceilings.
- New lighting systems.
- Construction of male and female toilet facilities complete with showers and changing area.
- New hard and soft flooring throughout.
- New staff kitchen and breakout facilities.
- Refurbishment of power and date systems.
- Move the main server rack and position in alternative location.
- New ceramic floor and wall tiling to the toilets and shower room.
- Decommissioning of IT and comms systems.
- Redecoration of all office and ancillary areas.
- Carry out waterproofing and tanking of all basement vaults to provide dry storage, include for new purpose made doors and frames to match building style, external grade lighting and PIR switching and flooring
- Overhaul all sash windows and external doors and replace as necessary
- Form new purpose made steel secure external roof access hatch and overhaul all slate roofing areas and lead gutters.
- Replace all code 6 lead flashings at roof level and point to match existing
- Hack off all defective stucco plaster and replace with lime, cement sand and horse hair stucco to match existing to balconies and general wall areas.
- Rake out cracks in stucco plaster and repair with lime cement slurry
- Redecorate all walls, doors, railings and window frames with Dulux Weathershield paint system
- Replace sandstone entrance steps with new Portland stone
- Overhaul all external drainage systems